We are in the fortunate position to be able to offer a number of small scholarships to Year 7 entrants each year, if there are suitable candidates. Academic Scholarships and Specialist Scholarships in Art, Drama, Music or Sport are available.
The deadline to apply for a scholarship for Year 7 September 2021 entry is Tuesday 1 December 2020.
Suitable candidates, identified from the results from the entrance assessments, the interview and the reference from the current school are invited to sit the Academic Scholarship assessments in January/February. These assessments will be open ended and are designed to select the most academically gifted students.
Candidates for the Art Scholarship will :
- be given a drawing task to complete which will assess their technical skills.
- need to bring a portfolio consisting of a maximum of 5 pieces of their work, preferably created at home rather than at school.
- have the opportunity to discuss their portfolio with the Head of Art and Design
We are looking for artists who have excellent drawing skills as well as an enthusiasm and passion for the subject.
Candidates for the Drama Scholarship:
- Both Acting and Musical Theatre Scholarship candidates will participate in a drama workshop with the other candidates
- They will be asked to perform a prepared solo monologue of approximately 2 minutes (monologues will be provided to choose from in advance).
- Musical Theatre candidates only will also be asked to prepare a song/dance of their choice to perform in addition to their monologue piece.
They will also have the opportunity to speak with the Drama department to share their passion for drama or musical theatre.
Music Scholarship candidates will have an audition with the Director of Music, in their chosen instrument(s) or vocally.
- Instrumentalists should be minimum Grade 4 level or equivalent
- Singers should be experienced and have potential.
- In exceptional circumstances we will consider candidates who are currently learning 2 instruments and have reached grade 3, or equivalent, in both.
We are looking for enthusiasm and musicality as well as a commitment to the musical life of the School.
Candidates for the Sports Scholarship will be expected to participate in an endurance run, agility test and a timed sprint; they will also be assessed on their netball ability and participate in a field lacrosse session.
- Netball players should be in their school’s ‘A’ team or played at a higher level
- Alternative sports should have been played to an exceptionally high standard
- Additional sports, such as tennis, dance, gymnastics are welcomed must be of a very high standard.
Successful candidates are expected to prioritise school sport clubs and fixtures over external sporting commitments; they are also expected to regularly attend the extra-curricular sporting programme and competition schedules and represent Abbot’s Hill in a range of sports.
*Scholarships take the form of a percentage reduction of School Fees usually between 5 -10% and are held for the time your daughter remains at Abbot’s Hill, subject to continuous progress judged to be satisfactory in the view of the Head.*